When your child demonstrates the readiness signs, it means that it's time to provide him/her with the potty training 3 days method. In this article, you are going to learn about the initial steps to potty train your baby.
Keep a Patient Behavior
- The greatest weapon you need in order to potty train your baby is "patience". You must keep this in mind that although potty training is a natural procedure but it takes time. Close your ears to the experiences of the people claiming that they potty trained their kids in just four to five days. Some of the people might even criticize you for starting too late claiming that they potty trained their kids during the first six months of their birth. Remember that every child possesses different and unique physical needs, so it doesn't mean that if your first child got potty trained in three months then your second one will also take the same time.
- You must prepare yourself for any failure or accidents that can happen during the phase of potty training. You child might pee over the floor or in the car, but you must remain calm. Similarly, you must also train your child to remain calm in such instances and confidently cope with these situations.
- Be gentle and encouraging towards your child.
- Learn to differentiate between the requirements of day-time potty training and night-time potty training.
Motivate Your Child
- Next step is to motivate your child for potty training. In order to motivate your baby, you can get an attractive training potty-pot for him. These potty-pots are available in different forms and shapes. Some are available in the form of replicas of original bathroom seats while others are available possessing the shapes of famous cartoon characters. Pick the one that might tempt your child towards potty training. You might also get a removable potty seat for the toilet, so when your baby has been trained, he could sit on that potty seat.
- When you have trained your child and decide to shift him to an actual toilet seat, then you must also get a footstool for your baby. This stool will not only help your child in climbing to the toilet seat, but it will also prevent him from slipping while sitting on the toilet seat.
- After you have got the required equipment for potty training, you need to make a selection of the correct time during which you are going to potty train your kiddo. You must keep this in mind that time holds great importance when it comes to the results of potty training. If you potty train your baby during the summers, then the chances for success are relatively high as compared to training provided during winters. Don't potty train your baby if it is under some sort of stress. Babies can easily get stressed if they are exposed to sudden change. Change of accommodation and arrival of a new sibling might put your child into stress so he might not show any interest towards potty training.
- You must also work on setting up a specific routine in order to potty train your kid. If you make him sit on the potty-pot after every two hours, then you must stick to the timings. This way your baby will find it easy to adapt to those timings.
- At first, you must try to make your baby sit on the potty-pot for three to four times. The sitting duration must not be more than three to five minutes. Gradually you must increase the sitting duration and decrease the interval between the potty episodes.
- Try to make your baby sit on the potty-pot at the times when you think that he will definitely pee. For instance, make him sit on the potty-pot right after waking up. You must also make him sit when he eats or drinks something. One sitting before bed is also necessary.
Make potty time interesting
- If your child feels scared by this potty training thing, then try to make it interesting for him. First of all, you must properly introduce him to the pot. Tell him how to sit on it and the basic purpose of the pot.
- At the start, the potty-pot must be placed in the kid's playroom so he might have fun spending time on the potty-pot. You should also sit near your child and put some colorful books around him or his favorite toys. If the baby is indulged in playing with toys or gazing at colorful pictures, he won't feel bored while sitting at the pot. You can also read a story to him.
- There are various potty training apps available these days on Android and iPhones. Try to instill interest in your child with the help of these apps.
Demonstrate to your baby that how the toilet actually works
- Most of the parents make the mistake of not properly introducing the potty to their kids. Remember, like all the other things your kid also needs to learn about the importance and need of a toilet. So you must properly explain to him that what is a toilet and how it works. For this purpose, you can use different methods.
- The first method that you can use is to take a dirty nappy and empty the contents of that nappy into the potty-pot. You must also flush those contents so the baby can understand that this is the place where pee and stool are disposed of.
- You can also take the baby on the toilet trips with you whenever you feel the need to go to the toilet. Let the baby sit on his potty-pot on the side of the toilet so he can see and copy you.
Teaching your kids the fundamentals of toilet
- You must let your kid spend at least 15 to 20 minutes on the potty- pot.
- You must teach your kid how to correctly pronounce the toilet-related words.
- Learn to understand the potty needs of your kid and keep on asking your child whether he needs to go to the toilet.
- Gradually reduce the nappy-time.
- Teach your kiddo the correct method to wash or wipe himself or herself after using the pot.
- Remind your child to always wash his hands using an anti-bacterial hand-wash after he has finished using the toilet.
After you have trained your child for the daytime toilet, you must move on to the next step which is to train your child for nighttime toilet.