|Newborn Tips#1: Don't Hush-A-Bye-Baby|
|You don't have to be quiet while the baby is sleeping. The womb is loud, and newborns are used to the noise. When ours first came home, we watched television and I would vacuum, wash dishes and talk on the phone around her while she slept. She got used to sleeping with noise, and I could get stuff done. I am still able to vacuum in her room while she sleeps (she is 14 months), and she is peaceful and well rested when she wakes up.|
|Newborn Tips#2: Soothe Your Wailing Newborn|
|When my baby cries, I comfort her by patting her back in a heartbeat-like rhythm. That helps her burp more quickly, and it also helps her relax if she's crying from insecurity. If this doesn’t work, I also try one or all of Dr. Harvey Karp's five calming moves: swaddling, shushing, holding her on her side, swinging her or letting her suck. Sometimes it takes all six!|
There has been western influence of using baby accessories and other things in many other parts of the world. The different countries are adapting to those ways of raising their babies. For example we can say that using car seats has now become a necessity among the people. Let us figure out few important benefits that the child car seats can give to its users.
1. Parents need to bring to their notice that, a baby cannot sit alone on an adult seat while travelling in a car and it is not always possible for someone to hold them in the car. At such times, the car seats are a really convenient option that can ease the worries of the parents about taking care of their kids and give the babies a comfortable seat. They generally tend to get fidgety and there is always a fear of the babies falling off their seat. The car seats give them a stable position to sit in and be safe at the same time. They need to be trained to get used to that fixed position at least while travelling.
2. Babies tend to be very fragile in their growing years, they are tender and delicate. Having such reasons makes it difficult to travel at times, but if you are familiar with the infant car seats then you can put all your worries to ease. The babies are light in weight and to maintain their safety, they need to be ensured in a single position. The reason for this is that the baby's head tends to go forward while travelling in a car when it pulls the break. This makes it difficult for the babies to breathe and so a fixed belt that retains their heads stiffly would enable them to take in air freely.
|Newborn Tips#3: Help Get Your Baby to Latch|
|If you are having latch-on issues while breastfeeding your baby, you can use breast shields to help the process. This was a wonderful tip that I learned from my lactation consultant. I had to use the shields for an entire month before my baby would latch onto my own nipple without them. Had it not been for the breast shields, I would not have been able to continue nursing my baby.|
|Newborn Tips#4: Get Prepped|
|At 3 weeks, babies’ days and nights become more predictable, and you can focus on yourself in addition to your newborn. One way to do that is by reducing your stress level - and having everything ready for your hungry baby and yourself is one way to do that. Start by prepping for the next feeding as soon as the previous one is over. For example, after an 11 p.m. feeding, get ready for the 2 a.m. one by prepping whatever you need for feeding and putting out fresh drinking water for yourself so you don’t have anything to think about in the middle of the night. During the day, take advantage of the baby’s naps to work out, shower or catch up on e-mail, or take a nap too.|
3. The infant car seats have been a matter of discussion for parents as there has to be certain things that have to be taken care of. The use of the seats helps them to conveniently carry around the baby with the carrier. They can directly fit the same carrier to the car and make the baby sit in a better position. The convenience adds up when the parents are making the purchase decisions. They don't mind spending a bit more.
4. Using the car seats, it has been observed that the babies are prevented from any harsh or mild injuries. The harness takes care of them and their small bodies, not straining any part of it. Their tiny structures fit well into a good car seat that also allows them to slide and have a nap when they want while moving around. Car seats have been proved to reduce the child fatalities by 71%.
5. Buying a comfortable car seat is of prime importance. Since the baby needs space to be comfortable and happy throughout the journey. They make sure that there is proper cushioning and belts to enable a smooth travel for the baby. Add-ons like a bottle holder on the side would keep the baby at ease.
Thus it is advisable to buy a good quality child car seat that takes care of all the above points mentioned.
|Newborn Tips#5: Keeping Your Baby Awake During Feedings|
|When our baby was eating slowly and sleepily, my husband and I would massage her cheek to stimulate her to eat faster. A gentle stroke with a fingertip on her cheek was all it took, and on those long sleepless nights, this simple trick was a godsend! Our friends have found it works great with their infants too. When babies eat efficiently until they're full before going to sleep, they sleep for longer between feedings. And that means you’re both likely to be calmer!|
|Newborn Tips#6: Help Your Baby Bond with Dad|
|Make sure your baby has ample time alone with Daddy. His touch and voice are different than yours, and this will begin a bonding process and give you a break. Plus, it gets the baby used to being with someone other than you. The first few times can be hard. Make sure your baby is fed and well rested, as this will give you at least one or two hours before you're needed again. Then leave Dad and the baby alone. If you stay nearby, make sure the baby can’t see or hear you, and resist the urge to go into the room and "fix" things if she starts crying. Your baby cries with you and you experiment to find out what's wrong. Dads need time to do this too - in their own way. By allowing this time, your child will learn there is more than one way to receive comfort, which will help immensely when you leave your baby with a sitter or another family member for the first time. You could have your partner bathe her, put her to bed or just read or talk to her.|