|Newborn Tips#1: Don't Hush-A-Bye-Baby|
|You don't have to be quiet while the baby is sleeping. The womb is loud, and newborns are used to the noise. When ours first came home, we watched television and I would vacuum, wash dishes and talk on the phone around her while she slept. She got used to sleeping with noise, and I could get stuff done. I am still able to vacuum in her room while she sleeps (she is 14 months), and she is peaceful and well rested when she wakes up.|
|Newborn Tips#2: Soothe Your Wailing Newborn|
|When my baby cries, I comfort her by patting her back in a heartbeat-like rhythm. That helps her burp more quickly, and it also helps her relax if she's crying from insecurity. If this doesn’t work, I also try one or all of Dr. Harvey Karp's five calming moves: swaddling, shushing, holding her on her side, swinging her or letting her suck. Sometimes it takes all six!|
A baby shower is a tradition that has never grown old. As long as there is a baby to expect, the next in line to consider is organizing a gift giving party for the baby. Although, there is no specific etiquette for this event, but there are important rules to follow to keep up with good manners and make your party a success.
It should not be you!
The essence of baby shower is the gift giving from the community that the parents-to-be belongs to; therefore, it is unethical for the parents to organize it themselves. It should not be you! Most likely, your friends and family will throw the party; and, if you will organize the party yourself, it can be perceived that you are after of the gifts. However, if you are anxious that no one would start it for you; then, you can ask a female friend or relative to take the wheels.
Helpful baby shower etiquette
- You can have the party more than once. It is acceptable to hold more than one baby shower. As long as there are willing relatives and friend to throw a party for the coming of the baby then, it is always acceptable. However, avoid inviting the same set of visitors that you already have during the first baby shower.
- Throw the party after the birth of the baby. You can still throw a baby shower even after the baby is born. This will give the guest the chance to pick suitable gift for the baby.
- Party possibility for the second child. According to the tradition, baby shower is intended for the first child. This can be explained because most mothers' of the first born has lots of needs. However, each child is precious so it is acceptable for mother to receive this special event for every child.
Baby shower etiquette for Mom-to-be Party Participation
|Newborn Tips#3: Help Get Your Baby to Latch|
|If you are having latch-on issues while breastfeeding your baby, you can use breast shields to help the process. This was a wonderful tip that I learned from my lactation consultant. I had to use the shields for an entire month before my baby would latch onto my own nipple without them. Had it not been for the breast shields, I would not have been able to continue nursing my baby.|
|Newborn Tips#4: Get Prepped|
|At 3 weeks, babies’ days and nights become more predictable, and you can focus on yourself in addition to your newborn. One way to do that is by reducing your stress level - and having everything ready for your hungry baby and yourself is one way to do that. Start by prepping for the next feeding as soon as the previous one is over. For example, after an 11 p.m. feeding, get ready for the 2 a.m. one by prepping whatever you need for feeding and putting out fresh drinking water for yourself so you don’t have anything to think about in the middle of the night. During the day, take advantage of the baby’s naps to work out, shower or catch up on e-mail, or take a nap too.|
Although, somebody has initiated the gift giving, you can always offer to help. Below are some tips that you can offer to do to make the shower successful.
- Prepare food. It wise to consider your budget as you plan for the food. You can have a complete meal or just snacks and beverages. You should keep in mind to prepare more than to run short of food in the middle of the event.
- Give Token. This is optional, but if budget permits then, it is wise to give. You can prepare inexpensive token to the guest. Blue or pink Nail polish is a cute item to give.
- Games. You can prepare games that the guest may enjoy. Although, there is no required number of games to be played, but preparing at least 2 games that everyone can participate is a good idea.
Lastly, a typical baby shower lasts for about two hours. When a guest arrives, it is important that you will greet and welcome each one at the door. Let each guest introduce themselves and let them say a few phrase on how they come to know the mom-to-be. One of the baby shower etiquettes is that you will ask the guest to gather around the mom-to-be while she is opening the gifts, whichshould be done after serving the food. When the guest prepares to leave that is also the time that you will give out the token of appreciation.
|Newborn Tips#5: Keeping Your Baby Awake During Feedings|
|When our baby was eating slowly and sleepily, my husband and I would massage her cheek to stimulate her to eat faster. A gentle stroke with a fingertip on her cheek was all it took, and on those long sleepless nights, this simple trick was a godsend! Our friends have found it works great with their infants too. When babies eat efficiently until they're full before going to sleep, they sleep for longer between feedings. And that means you’re both likely to be calmer!|
|Newborn Tips#6: Help Your Baby Bond with Dad|
|Make sure your baby has ample time alone with Daddy. His touch and voice are different than yours, and this will begin a bonding process and give you a break. Plus, it gets the baby used to being with someone other than you. The first few times can be hard. Make sure your baby is fed and well rested, as this will give you at least one or two hours before you're needed again. Then leave Dad and the baby alone. If you stay nearby, make sure the baby can’t see or hear you, and resist the urge to go into the room and "fix" things if she starts crying. Your baby cries with you and you experiment to find out what's wrong. Dads need time to do this too - in their own way. By allowing this time, your child will learn there is more than one way to receive comfort, which will help immensely when you leave your baby with a sitter or another family member for the first time. You could have your partner bathe her, put her to bed or just read or talk to her.|