There comes a time in everyone's life when deciding what we want and what we need becomes difficult. Similarly, it becomes even more difficult when we have to make these choices for our parents or grandparents. But keeping our negative thoughts aside and moving forward, many new and improved assisted living facilities have been constructed to give seniors a new lease on life.
Giving a feeling of independence to seniors in an assisted or independent living environment can provide them with a fresh outlook on life. In the last decade, a number of new facilities have opened up as more people are beginning to follow this approach of holistic living for seniors. The independent senior living facilities not only provide residents with comfortable living accommodations, but also keep them involved through fun events and activities. The facilities provide many services and activities such as arts and crafts, cooking classes, movie nights, exercise classes, daily nutritious meals, and housekeeping services, among others.
The foundation of assisted living was to provide assistance to those who have any disability or trouble completing everyday tasks. But that view has changed, and many seniors are now enrolling in these facilities as a means to get a new lease on life. It is a place where the residents are in control of their lives and most of their daily needs are met. With the growth of assisted living facility, older adults are getting traditional care while maintaining much of their independence and dignity. A good facility provides choices and does not force anything on its residents. Instead, they encourage them to try new activities and socialize with their peers so that they can live an active and healthier life.
However, before making any final decisions on a particular assisted living facility, it is best to look for the following things:
- Safety: one of the primary reasons why any senior moves to an independent facility from home is to ensure safety and security. The facility must be thoroughly checked that the residents should face no harm and can lead a happy and comfortable life independently.
- Active lifestyle: in order to make sure your loved one can live a happy life at their facility, one must know what programs and activities they can offer to keep their residents engaged.
- Less worry: since the residents living in the assisted homes are generally senior citizens, the facility members must ensure that they can be cared for. Seniors should not worry about many of the petty issues that might arise while living at home alone. Here they will get proper food and get to interact with other members of their unit. Friends and family should also have the ability to visit and spend time with their loved ones at the facility so that they do not feel abandoned.
- Engagement: one of the main goals of any facility is to engage its residents to socialize and interact with other residents. Socializing will not only help them avoid feeling depressed, but will also help make their experience at the facility homes happier and friendlier.
- Comfort and independence: living at an assisted living facility, a senior should feel more independent and at ease. The facility should give its residents respect and must help maintain their independence and dignity at all levels, thus making their life at the facility more comfortable.
The independent senior living may seem like a major life change, but with the facilities and services provided here, it has evolved to be a good option for seniors who wish to maintain their respective lifestyle and not compromise or worry about anything.