|Newborn Tips#1: Don't Hush-A-Bye-Baby|
|You don't have to be quiet while the baby is sleeping. The womb is loud, and newborns are used to the noise. When ours first came home, we watched television and I would vacuum, wash dishes and talk on the phone around her while she slept. She got used to sleeping with noise, and I could get stuff done. I am still able to vacuum in her room while she sleeps (she is 14 months), and she is peaceful and well rested when she wakes up.|
|Newborn Tips#2: Soothe Your Wailing Newborn|
|When my baby cries, I comfort her by patting her back in a heartbeat-like rhythm. That helps her burp more quickly, and it also helps her relax if she's crying from insecurity. If this doesn’t work, I also try one or all of Dr. Harvey Karp's five calming moves: swaddling, shushing, holding her on her side, swinging her or letting her suck. Sometimes it takes all six!|
Can you spend whole night sleeping on a bed which is not at all comfortable for you? Not for sure as you are not comfortable there and your body starts aching while sleeping on an uncomfortable bed. Similarly, a crib is a place where your infant spends most of their time sleeping and playing in it. So, it is being the first and foremost priority to ensure that it is comfortable enough for an infant and does not leave the child with the aching body. The lifestyle cribs come in a different size and colors so that you can choose one from the wide variety available according to your budget and the requirements.
div class=”spacer image_sharing_exclude” id=”middle_ads”>
|Newborn Tips#3: Help Get Your Baby to Latch|
|If you are having latch-on issues while breastfeeding your baby, you can use breast shields to help the process. This was a wonderful tip that I learned from my lactation consultant. I had to use the shields for an entire month before my baby would latch onto my own nipple without them. Had it not been for the breast shields, I would not have been able to continue nursing my baby.|
|Newborn Tips#4: Get Prepped|
|At 3 weeks, babies’ days and nights become more predictable, and you can focus on yourself in addition to your newborn. One way to do that is by reducing your stress level - and having everything ready for your hungry baby and yourself is one way to do that. Start by prepping for the next feeding as soon as the previous one is over. For example, after an 11 p.m. feeding, get ready for the 2 a.m. one by prepping whatever you need for feeding and putting out fresh drinking water for yourself so you don’t have anything to think about in the middle of the night. During the day, take advantage of the baby’s naps to work out, shower or catch up on e-mail, or take a nap too.|
- Bassinets- When your infant is below the age of 5-6 months, these are perfectly recommended for the baby than having a full-size lifestyle crib. They are small in size and consumes less space, thus you can make your baby sleeping in front of your eyes in the same bedroom with you. The main advantage coming along with the bassinets or cradle is that they are easily portable so that you can carry with yourself wherever you and keep your baby in a comfort zone even outside the house.
- Convertible cribs- The advantage of this type can be determined by its name only as you can use the same crib for the years. It can be converted from a toddler bed to full-size kid's bed or to a daybed matching with the twin mattress. The head and foot can be used as a headboard and foot board together with a simple kit bought together with the crib.
- Conventional baby crib- This type comes with the facility to drop the sides to easily putting the baby and taking out of it. With such a comfortable feature, you don't need to adjust the height every time you put or take out the baby from it. Conventional baby cribs affordable and can be used till your baby gets to the age of two.
- Round crib- This is one of the unique and fashionable designs among the lifestyle cribs. Round cribs consume less floor space than that of the traditional ones. And because of unique design and comfort, the crib is little expensive as compared to the traditional cribs.
- Canopy crib- If you want to give your child a feel of being in a fairytale, then this one is for you. The sides are covered with the tent-like look and thus, the canopy crib looks beautiful and adorable. Though they are a lot more expensive than the traditional cribs.
|Newborn Tips#5: Keeping Your Baby Awake During Feedings|
|When our baby was eating slowly and sleepily, my husband and I would massage her cheek to stimulate her to eat faster. A gentle stroke with a fingertip on her cheek was all it took, and on those long sleepless nights, this simple trick was a godsend! Our friends have found it works great with their infants too. When babies eat efficiently until they're full before going to sleep, they sleep for longer between feedings. And that means you’re both likely to be calmer!|
|Newborn Tips#6: Help Your Baby Bond with Dad|
|Make sure your baby has ample time alone with Daddy. His touch and voice are different than yours, and this will begin a bonding process and give you a break. Plus, it gets the baby used to being with someone other than you. The first few times can be hard. Make sure your baby is fed and well rested, as this will give you at least one or two hours before you're needed again. Then leave Dad and the baby alone. If you stay nearby, make sure the baby can’t see or hear you, and resist the urge to go into the room and "fix" things if she starts crying. Your baby cries with you and you experiment to find out what's wrong. Dads need time to do this too - in their own way. By allowing this time, your child will learn there is more than one way to receive comfort, which will help immensely when you leave your baby with a sitter or another family member for the first time. You could have your partner bathe her, put her to bed or just read or talk to her.|